A service experience

I served in the Army for four years, from 2016 to 2020. The first year of my service was virtually all training, and then I was assigned to my unit for the next three years, the 86th Engineer Dive Team in Virginia. The best part about serving is definitely the bond you feel with your fellow soldiers and the higher goal you are all trying to achieve. Every step along the way is different for every service person. The beginning is just getting into the military and adjusting to the new life you’re about to have for the next however many years, then everyone goes through some sort of basic training, and finally you get settled into your duty station or permanent job. Of course, it is never truly permanent; your station or job and the people around you can change depending on how long you stay in and what it is that you do—but my point is that along the way, at each of those steps, you have a different end goal, different feelings and different people alongside you. Some of those people you’ll never see again and even fewer of them you will have as a friend for life, but my hope is that every person who has served has at some point in their career felt connected to the members around them and to that higher goal. It pains me knowing that this is not always the case, and I do consider myself lucky since my unit was a small unit with good men and women. I do miss the military sometimes, and each time what I’m missing is that feeling of working towards something beyond my day-to-day life. I’m a big people person and enjoy being in groups, so I am glad that I have a group of veterans here at Vassar; it gives me that higher purpose feeling again.